The Ranger Programme is funded by the European Union to enhance the productivity of ecosystem services provided by rangelands within the AMAYA Triangle landscape by adopting an integrated landscape approach in the four counties constituting the Amaya Triangle area in Kenya: Laikipia, Baringo, Samburu and Isiolo. The programme aims to enhance the productivity of ecosystem services provided by rangelands within Amaya Triangle counties through investments in evidence-based climate-smart feed resources, an array of climate-smart tree – wildlife and natural resource-based livelihoods and enhancing the capacity of Amaya Triangle counties in governance, peace and security for both wildlife and people.
Objective of the Research
To conduct a scoping study to identify the most viable value chains to be enhanced in the AMAYA triangle and identify local entrepreneurs, youth groups and community-based organizations already engaged in the various natural resource-based livelihood systems.
The short-term consultancy will carry out an up-to-date analysis of the value chains in Baringo, Isiolo, Laikipia and Samburu counties.
The value chain studies shall take 2 months
Specific Survey Objectives:
To carry out a Value Chain Analysis of natural resources-based value chains to identify the most viable ones for scaling up and provide evidence-based information for programme intervention development.
The client expects the consultant to address the following: –
- To plan and implement a value chain assessment in each targeted region, including mapping the key actors along the value chain, including farmers, suppliers, and buyers.
- To select the most viable feed and food security natural resource-based value chains in the regions of focus and analyze their potential in production, market availability, and demand from markets. Feed includes trees and pasture.
- To examine the production practices and systems within the targeted value chains with emphasis on the adoption of new technologies and production methods.
- To conduct gross margin analysis on the priority value chains in the specific target counties.
- To identify aggregators/ buyers working in the region and the relationships they have with producers.
- To assess existing markets and opportunities, the competitiveness of the value chain(s) and determine how to create competitive advantages for the targeted sectors in the context of local and regional trends, having in mind the context of the targeted populations and regions.
- To analyze market trends in the target counties for the selected value chains and other key markets such as Nairobi and other large markets in Kenya and beyond.
- To identify leverage points along the value chain that can potentially strengthen the effectiveness and efficiency of the chains.
- To identify the underlying constraints impinging upon business transactions all along the chain and provide interventions on how to mitigate them.
- To identify the potential suitable producers’ groups and private sector players, the promising value addition opportunities and markets.
- Assess the cost, profit, marketing, and supply and demand dynamics of the value chain.
- Assess the enabling environment surrounding the vegetable value chain, including but not limited to extension providers, government interventions, development partners and their projects, rules and regulations, informal rules and norms
- Recommend value chain development plan(s) that benefit the local communities and improve living conditions and economic empowerment.
- Analyze the supporting functions that are required to make the value chain work, including both existing and missing support functions (e.g. infrastructure, information, related services)
- Order by priority potential development plans and interventions. In particular, the prioritization should consider the potential of certain chains to promote the economic empowerment of women and the youth.
Consultant Responsibilities and Skills
- a) Core responsibilities of the Lead Consultant:
The client expects the lead consultant to perform the following core responsibilities:
- Review all relevant secondary sources of data and any relevant information to the study.
- Develop all necessary data collection, plans tools and present them for review before use.
- Participate in training of research assistant’s/data collectors, where necessary
- Conduct both quantitative and qualitative data collection using acceptable methodologies.
- Develop relevant databases and provide supervision of data collection using appropriate methods and procedures to ensure accuracy and quality of data
- b) Skill and knowledge base requirements
- Demonstrated experience in value chain analysis, especially in natural resources-based value chains
- Expert in value chain assessment methodology
- Excellent knowledge of value chains, marketing systems and private sector development
- Strong analytical, research and presentation skills
- Excellent report writing skills
- Ability to take on assignments that require travel, mission and appointment to field locations
For consultant(s) interested in bidding for the assignment are required to submit one proposal to email@example.com by 7th May 2021 with the email subject: AMAYA Value Chain Analysis Study
Click here to download the full Terms of Reference to refer to the key deliverables and outputs of this short term consultancy. >> Terms of Reference (TOR) Value Chain Analysis – AMAYA